BENGALURU: The 24,000 common entrance test (CET) repeaters from 2021, who reappeared for the examination to improve their rankings, will not be getting any respite from the government as higher education minister C N Ashwath Narayan said the KEA decision of considering only their CET marks, as has been the case with their contemporaries, will stand final.

“Considering these students passed their PUC with 1.5 lakh other students who have secured their ranking in the 2021 examination based only on their CET scores, we cannot consider only the CET repeaters PUC scores as it will open a pandora’s box,” said the minister.

He said, the prime reason for the government backing the KEA decision is that if the CET repeaters PU scores are taken into account, along with those who passed the qualifying examinations this academic year, then it would be unfair to both the 1.5 lakh students who secured rankings only on CET scores in 2021 and another 1.5 lakh students who have secured their rankings along with the PU marks this academic year.

Congratulations!

You have successfully cast your vote

“It will be completely unfair for both sets of applicants who have appeared for CET in 2021 and 2022. The only thing I can say to these CET repeaters is to swallow the bitter pill and accept the rankings which have been accorded to them,” he said.

The minister said there is no dearth of engineering seats for the aspirants as no less than 20,000 government quota seats had lapsed without any takers in the last academic year.

“There is no dearth of seats available, even if their ranking has worsened. There are seats available across streams and even more under COMED-K,” he claimed.

Usually, CET ranks are determined by giving equal weightage to II PU as well as CET marks.

However, in 2021, II PU exams were cancelled due to Covid. The II PU marks were instead calculated based on their SSLC, I PU and internal assessment. CET ranks were, therefore, determined only based on CET marks.

But with II PU exams held for the 2022 academic year, the ranks of fresh candidates were announced based on both II PU and CET marks. However, for CET repeaters (those who completed II PU in 2021), only the CET marks were taken into account, citing that they did not have a PU exam to be taken into account.

The repeaters, despite improving their CET scores in 2022, realised their ranks dropped drastically as the PU marks were not considered.

The 24,000 repeaters, since then, have been demanding a common ground for calculating the CET ranks.


More than 664 CBSE and ICSE repeaters qualifying marks withdrawn

Higher education minister C N Ashwath Narayan on Tuesday said the state government has withdrawn the qualifying marks of ICSE and CBSE students who had repeated their CET entrance in 2022.

Citing that there were 64 ICSE and more than 600 CBSE students who had directly added their qualifying marks, as the KEA has not integrated their PU roll numbers with the CET ranking, Narayan said there was a lapse on behalf of the authority.

“However, it has now been rectified and more than 664 ICSE and CBSE students’ qualifying marks have been rescinded. Their rankings will now be based purely on their CET scores,” said the minister.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.